Sunday, November 20, 2016

Pancake Run for Missions 5K Race Recap

May 14, 2016

This was the 25th Annual Pancake Run for Missions 5K. The course ran through Old Cloverdale, one of Montgomery's most scenic neighborhoods. Proceeds from the race went towards missions for the First United Methodist Church of Montgomery.

I've always wanted to do this run, but it has conflicted with the Mother's Day Run in year's past. This year it was held the weekend after, so I was excited to finally have the opportunity to run it.


It was only May, but we were already experiencing summer like temps. Fortunately, it was cooler this race morning. I understand it's been much hotter in previous years for this race.

I started out way too fast as usual. I have trouble holding back for shorter races like the 5K. I was running a sub 7:30 pace, which I knew I couldn't maintain. I had to remind myself to dial back and settle into a more manageable pace.

Mile 1-8:06

I stopped for water at the halfway point. I don't always need water for a 5K, but my mouth was feeling dry. I was passed by several runners at the water stop. I wasn't able to pick up the pace after stopping for water. I clocked Mile 2 much slower than the first one.

Mile 2-8:44
 
I noticed some female runners gaining on me when I made the final turn into the park. I worried that they might be in my age group. I picked up the pace on the loop around towards the finish line. I managed to finish ahead of them. I hate being passed in the final seconds of a race.
 
Mile 3- 8:29
 
 
I finished in 26:05. After crossing the finish line, Michael and I went inside to enjoy the pancake breakfast. They had a nice spread for the runners with plenty of pancakes, sausage, and orange juice. Additional pancake breakfasts were available to family members for a $5 donation.
 
It took a while for the results to be tabulated. The suspense was killing me. I didn't know if I had done well enough to place in my age group. I really wanted a trophy. I enjoyed conversation with my friend Valerie (icecreamrunner) and other runners at our table. I could tell Valerie was thinking the same thing about the results. She kept asking if they were posted anywhere.

 
Finally the wait was over, the results were in. I was so excited to hear my name announced. I placed 2nd in my age group.

 
 
My friend Valerie placed 1st in her age group.



 
I really enjoyed this race. I would definitely run it again as long as it doesn't conflict with the Mother's Day run that my mom and I do every year.  It was well organized. The course was nice. I enjoyed looking at all the historic homes. The pancake breakfast was pretty tasty and it was great to sit and visit with other runners while the results were being tabulated. I love the trophies! It's not that often that races hand out trophies for age group awards. I was pleased that I did well enough to earn one.

No comments:

Post a Comment