Sunday, November 8, 2015

Capitol 10 Miler Race Recap

November 7, 2015

I'm in Week 14 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon training plan. This weekend's long run was supposed to be 12 miles. I knew I would run this 10 miler faster than my usual training runs, so I didn't try to make up the other two miles.

Centerpoint Fellowship hosted the Capitol 10 Miler in downtown Montgomery, AL. Proceeds from this run benefitted Operation Heal Our Patriots, an organization that gives wounded veterans and their spouses the opportunity for spiritual refreshment, physical renewal, and marriage enrichment.

The race started at 7:30. Mom and I arrived just past 7:00, which gave me time to pick up my packet and go to the bathroom. The forecast showed rain all weekend, but luckily it held off for the race. Unfortunately, Mom had to sit this one out due to a nagging hamstring injury. It's not the same running without her, but she made the right decision allowing time for her injury to heal.

 
I ran into fellow half fanatic and friend Dee at the start line. I met her at the Montgomery Half Marathon and we've become friends following each other on social media.
 


This was my first 10 mile race. My goal was to finish between 1:30-1:35. The course was similar to the Montgomery Half Marathon. The first two miles ran through a residential area. At 2.5 miles, we turned into Oak Park and I stopped to take in Gatorade at the first water stop. We ran a mile through the park before turning out of the park through Forest Avenue towards Carter Hill Road.

Mile 1- 8:59
Mile 2- 8:49
Mile 3- 9:01
Mile 4- 9:02


I was running a consistent pace and I hoped to maintain it. I took in a Honey Stinger Waffle at Mile 4.5. I finished it as I approached the second water stop and grabbed some water. Just past 4.5 miles we ran through Bankhead, a residential area with beautiful old homes. Then, we ran through more historic homes of Old Cloverdale.

Mile 5- 9:15
Mile 6- 9:02
Mile 7- 9:27
 
I was starting to wear down by mile 8. There were more rolling hills on the back route and I took several walk breaks. I clocked miles 8 and 9 over 10 minutes. My overall pace slowed from 9:10 to 9:25.
 
   Mile 8- 10:18
    Mile 9- 10:03
 
We ran past Alabama State University and up several more rolling hills including the Hall Street hill before turning towards the finish at 9.5 miles. I walked up all the hills, but ran the remainder of the race.
 
Mile 10-9:48
 

 
 

Mom was at the finish line cheering for me. She snapped a few pictures. I finished in 1:34:11 just under my goal time of 1:35. I was happy with my time considering the tough course. I finished 8th of 31 in my age group and 196th of 580 finishers.

 Finish Line photo

 The First White House of the Confederacy
 
 The State Capitol building
 

 The State Building
 
Finisher's Medal

9 comments:

  1. Wow, love that finishers medal! It's so cool! Sounds like a great race and even better that you could use it as a training run! Woop Woop on that!!!! Great job on placement you should be very proud and great job on the pictures, mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great race! I'm glad the rain held off although the temps could have been a little cooler. Mom did a good job picture taking, but I'd much rather have her back to health and running again. It was tough for her to sit this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son ran this last year and I remember he complained about the heat. I was running in FL complaining about the heat. Wasn't it held in October last year? You would think being later would have helped. You had a great finish time! When you run in downtown Montgomery, you know you are going to get the hills! I love the Bankhead area. Awesome medal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was in October last year. You just never know about our crazy weather. Downtown Montgomery is always a challenge. I don't do nearly enough hill training. The Bankhead homes are incredible! Many of them were still decorated for fall and they looked like something right out of Southern Homes magazine. It was a nice race and medal. I would definitely run it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I can't wait for my mom to recover and get back out there. It's not the same without her. This was a great race! I will definitely look into doing it again next year. The rain came in over the weekend and has stuck around today. It seems to be cooling things down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only done one 10-mile event (but have ran it the past two years)...I love that distance! You had a great finish time! The medal is pretty sweet ;-) good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you on making a great time!
    Its always so good to run into familiar faces.
    Glad your mom is listening to her body & taking care of that hamstring - that is a painful injury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope my mom recovers soon. It's not the same without her.

      Delete