Sunday, November 29, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Week 17 Marathon Training

November 23-29, 2015

I am joining the Weekly Wrap hosted by  Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin. The Weekly Wrap is a blog link up where bloggers share their active lifestyle and other exciting things weekly. To find out more, click on the image below. Feel free to join in on the fun.

http://www.misssippipiddlin.com/weekly-wrap/
 
I am currently training for my second marathon at St. Jude Memphis this December. I just completed Week 17 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon Training Plan. I will recap my training and other highlights from my week here in the Weekly Wrap
 
Monday, November 23rd
 
Monday was a scheduled rest day for running. I slept in until around 8:30 since we were out of school for the whole week of Thanksgiving. I worked on my blog posts recapping the Magic City Half Marathon and catching up on the Weekly Wrap link up. I got some exciting news that I was accepted into the 2016 Honey Stinger Hive Sponsorship Program. I started using Honey Stinger waffles while training for my first half marathon two years ago. Since then, I've relied on Honey Stinger's all natural products to fuel my long runs. I'm so excited to be part of this program and receive awesome discounts on products that I love!
 
 
Tuesday, November 24th
 
Tuesday was my 29th birthday. I really didn't do anything special to celebrate. I took an extra rest day from running because I was still a little sore from the half on Sunday. I slept late and woke up to some nice surprises from Michael. Not only did he outdo himself on the cake last Tuesday, he showered me with too many gifts. He gave me my favorite Bath & Body Works holiday scent Winter Candy Apple gift set, a book signed by Meb, and my first piece of jewelry from Tiffany & Co twist knot earrings.






 

To top it off, he brought home ice cream cupcakes from DQ. When I was younger, they had these in the freezer. You could just walk in and grab one, but now they have to be special ordered and they're only available at certain Dairy Queen locations. It was a real treat!

 
Wednesday, November 25th
 
I ran 3.1 miles as part of the Girls Run Fast Women's Virtual 5K/10K. I've never done a virtual run before, but as a Girls Run Fast Ambassador I thought this would be perfect for my first. I submitted my results and was informed that they had to order more shirts and medals. I was glad they had great participation in the event. I can't wait to get my goodies in the mail.
 
 
Thursday, November 26th
 
I did not participate in a Turkey Trot or Turkey Burner event, but I loved seeing everyone's photos on Facebook and Instagram. I did run 4 miles before going to my parents house for Thanksgiving lunch. Afterwards, I came home and walked Allie. Then, I took a long afternoon nap. I woke up and had leftovers for supper. I was stuffed!
 
 
Friday, November 27th
 
I got my final long run of 8 miles done. I had to test out my Heroes singlet. Nothing new on race day! I can't believe I'm coming to the end of my training cycle. Just a few short runs left before St. Jude Memphis Marathon.
 
 
We decorated for Christmas on Friday afternoon. Then, we went to my friend's house for potluck dinner and a bonfire later that evening.
 
Just one picture of our decorations. No, that's not a real fire. It was 80 degrees here on Friday!
 
Saturday, November 28th
 
Mom and I ran Ryan's Run 5K with Kylie from Ainsley's Angels. We were so excited for the opportunity to run with this organization which ensures that everyone can experience endurance events. We hope to do more runs with Ainsley's Angels in the future. To read more about our race, click here.
 
 
Later Saturday afternoon, we watched the Iron Bowl. The game was nerve wrecking at times, but Bama put the game away in the final quarter. I was so glad Derrick Henry got that final touchdown to beat the school record for most touchdowns in regular season play. Our kicker, Adam Griffith also had a great game putting 17 points on the board. ROLL TIDE! SEC Championship bound!
 
Sunday, November 29th
 
I woke up with a terrible headache. It feels like sinus pressure, so I've been drinking my apple cider vinegar. I'm praying it's not the onset of a sinus infection. Ain't nobody got time for that! I've got a marathon to run in less than a week.
 
Michael and I met my parents and grandfather for lunch. Then, we went by the school to decorate for Christmas. I want it to be nice when the kids return tomorrow. I took a long afternoon nap, which helped some with the headache. Later, I cleaned house and got the laundry caught up.
 
I'm so excited (and a little nervous) that race week has finally arrived. It's going to be a busy week at school, especially since I will have a sub on Friday to travel to the race. I'm riding with my parents to Memphis. Michael is staying at home for this one. He was there for my first marathon and I know he'll be tracking me from home. I've got a few 2-3 mile easy runs on the schedule for this week, which means I won't have to get up as early before school. The weather is looking nice for Saturday (I've been checking it obsessively). It might be a little on the warm side this year, but I won't complain as long as it's not raining and there's no ice storm (hence 2013 cancellation).
 
How do you deal with prerace jitters? Any last minute tips for the race?
 
 
 
 








32 comments:

  1. Firstly belated happy birthday!

    It's nice to be able to do some easier, shorter runs at the end of a training schedule. Hope this week isn't too stressful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is nice to cut way back from all the long training runs. Hope you have a good week!

      Delete
  2. Um, run happy? I've never run a marathon so no real tips there. Trust your training, too. I don't get too nervous unless I'm injured because I do trust my training.

    Sounds like you had a great week! I'd love to be showered with gifts on my birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up with sinus pressure on Friday. It was right above my left eye and even though I use a nasal spray, I had to use a decongestant on top of that. That's when I know things are bad. My fingers are crossed for you for your marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My head is feeling a little better since yesterday. Hopefully, the congestion will continue to clear.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a fun week with your birthday, holiday, decorating, and the 5k. I desperately need to make time to decorate! We went out of town last year to stay with my husband's family and I used it as an excuse to not put up our tree. It didn't feel like Christmas!

    Happy birthday and good luck at your marathon this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't decorate for fall this year and I love decorating for fall. We didn't have an excuse really. Just kept putting it off and putting it off til it was too late. My husband loves decorating for Christmas. I don't think he would let us get away with not decorating. Thank you! I'm so excited for Saturday!

      Delete
  5. good luck! My first marathon is Sunday. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Best of luck with the big race this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been so warm here! I was glad to see Derrick Henry break the record too. He works so hard. Could we possibly have a National Championship team? EEK. I was so tempted to come to Ryan's Run with one of my dogs and just run/walk very easy, but I decided to be good. I'm really tired of missing races. Good luck at St. Jude's. I'll be cheering for you! Enjoy this week of taper. I appreciate you linking up with us, Debra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we will go all the way! So exciting to see what the future holds for Bama! I missed you at Ryan's Run, but I understand you continuing to try to take things easy. You've been very disciplined with your recovery. It will pay off! Thank you! I'm so excited for Saturday!

      Delete
  8. I like the Honey Stinger waffles. They aren't too chewy. The chocolate flavor reminds me of a chocolate Pop-tart. I've never tried GU's or Chomps cause I heard they can upset the stomach, and I have a very sensitive stomach. My head is feeling a little better already. Hopefully it will continue to clear. I don't know how to relieve my jitters. I will be nervous until I go across the start line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the Honey Stinger Ambassadorship! Those little waffles are so yummy. That was really cool of your husband to get your book signed for you. That's sure to keep you motivated while tapering before or resting after a race. Great earrings too!! I hope you enjoy your marathon weekend experience and I'll be back to read the recap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm halfway through Meb's book. It's been nice read it to keep my mind off my race. I tend to obsess in the final weeks leading up to the race. His story is truly inspirational. There's so much I didn't know about him.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a good week! So exciting that your marathon is coming up! Your husband got you a bunch of great presents! So cool that he got Meb to sign the book for you! Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! I'm halfway through the book. Meb has an amazing story! I've learned a lot about him that I didn't know. I'm feeling better. I just hope I can continue to feel good. The kids have brought back a lot of sickness after a week out from school.

      Delete
  11. Looks like a great birthday celebration! Kind of jealous of that autographed book! I do want to read it. Meb seems like such a nice guy!

    I can't believe your race is almost here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the book and learning so much about Meb that I didn't know. His story is truly inspirational! I would love to meet him one day. I'm so excited for Saturday!

      Delete
  12. sounds like you are prepared- don't be nervous! happy Birthday! You did get some great gifts, very nice! Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday! Your gifts are awesome! So cool that Meb signed his book for you. That book is on my list to read. And yay for it being race week for you! I'm excited for you and look forward to hearing all the details. I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm halfway through the book. Meb's story is amazing! You should definitely read it sometime.

      Delete
  14. Happy belated birthday!!!
    I love your presents. Congrats.
    My boyfriend is also suffering from the sinus lately. I wish you a prompt recovery.
    Do you believe that I didn't know Girls Run Fast was about virtual racing? Shame on me! I need to check them out.
    Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Girls Run Fast is known for their running jewelry and charms, but they also have races. Some of the races are virtual, so ambassadors nationwide can participate.

      Delete
  15. Happy belated birthday! Very cool you got you a book signed by Meb! Congrats on your Honey Stinger Hive sponsorship! I've only had the waffles a few times but they were tasty. :) Good luck on your upcoming marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry! I would love to meet Meb one day. He seems like a really nice person. I'm excited about being accepted to the Honey Stinger program and getting discounts on a product I love.

      Delete
  16. I am so excited for this weekend! Well I'm still in vacation hangover mode but still. Congratulation on being a Honey Stinger ambassador. I love their waffles and have used them the last several races and long runs! They are awesome! I too was in a Turkey coma after all that heavy food! Boy was it good though. You are going to do great in your marathon! I'll send you my number and maybe it will work out we can meet in person sometimes! Even if not, I will be thinking about you during our run! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great meeting you briefly this weekend. Congrats on your half marathon! Good luck with the remainder of your training! Your marathon will be here before you know it!

      Delete
  17. Congrats on the sponsorship! It's awesome that you got the whole week off for Thanksgiving, too. We got the whole week off when I was in school in college and it was always nice! Your husband is awesome! Those are some very sweet gifts :) Your Christmas decorations look great!

    Is that cotton behind you in your Girls Run Fast Virtual 5K picture?

    A big GOOD LUCK to you this weekend! Run strong, trust your training, and most of all enjoy the miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meagan! I'm excited about the Honey Stinger sponsorship and getting discounts on products I love! Michael is the best! I am so lucky to have him as my husband. That is cotton in my picture. The snow of the south! I wanted a picture with it before they chopped it down, and I got it just in time because it's all gone now.

      Delete