Saturday, August 22, 2015

Advocare 24 Day Challenge- Phase 1: 10 Day Cleanse

August 10-19, 2015
 
10 Day Cleanse
 
I wasn't 100% sure about writing this post because I am no nutrition expert or health food nut. I try my best to eat right during the week, but I definitely splurge on the weekends. I usually try to follow the 80/20 rule, but this summer my eating habits were terrible. I ate out entirely too much, sometimes 2-3 meals a day. I am not one to weigh myself excessively because I don't want to let a number on a scale define me. However, at 5'5 I feel a healthy weight for me is 120-125 pounds. I hadn't weighed myself since I completed my last 24 day challenge in the spring.
 
I spent most of the summer in shorts and t-shirts. When I put on regular clothes for the first time, just weeks before school started, I realized how bad I let things get out of hand. A pair of capris that usually require me to wear a belt wouldn't go over my hips and thighs. I stepped on the scale for the first time in months, and I had gained 10 pounds since earlier that spring. It was time to get back on track.
 
I've trusted Advocare products for two and half years now. Michael introduced me to Advocare in 2013. He's used their products since he played football in high school, and several of his co-workers use and recommend their products. I had just started running regularly. I wanted to start eating better and see how the products would complement my running. After my first challenge I lost 6.5 pounds and 6.5 inches. I try to do two challenges a year now, one in the spring and fall. It is really recommended that you do the cleanse every 90 days.
 
I just completed the Cleanse Phase earlier this week. The purpose of this phase is to help the body better absorb nutrients and rid the body of toxins. There's a common misconception about cleanses. No you won't be in the bathroom for hours on end. This is a very gentle cleanse, primarily focused on helping you establish better eating habits. Here's what it's all about:
 
The Advocare Cleanse comes with the Fiber drink, Priobiotic Restore, and Herbal Cleanse tablets.
 
 
Optional products, but two that I rely on every day are: Spark Energy Drink and Catalyst.
 
 I am not a coffee drinker. Before Advocare, I drank Coke every morning. Spark gives you long lasting energy without spiking blood sugar. With B Vitamins and Amino Acids, it helps sharpen your mental focus and alertness.  There are several flavor options, but I love the fruit punch.
 
Catalyst supports and preserves muscle tone and enhances your energy and strength during workouts.
 
 
30 minutes before breakfast, you take the Probiotic Restore tablets. These tablets strengthen your immune and digestive systems and helps your body maintain normal, healthy bacteria. I took these with the Spark and Catalyst.
 
 
You drink the Fiber drink with breakfast. This drink scrubs your intestinal track and also helps curb your appetite. I would recommend the Peaches and Cream flavor over the Citrus. The texture is still thick and kind of gritty, so I do what I like to call the chug and chase. I just chug it as fast as I can and chase it with water.
 


Before bedtime, you take the Herbal Cleanse tablets. These tablets help cleanse the body of impurities and toxins.


So what do you eat on the cleanse? Trust me you won't starve. Try to eat five times a day: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks. Make sure you balance carbs and protein with each meal.

For Breakfast, I ate plain oatmeal with fruit and fried or boiled eggs.

For Snacks, I ate a serving size of plain almonds with fruit. I like to dip a banana in crushed almonds. I also ate a plain rice cake with natural peanut butter and a banana.

For Lunch, I ate leftovers from dinner which included a lean meat, veggies, and whole grain rice. If I didn't have leftovers, I ate a salad with grilled chicken, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, and tomatoes. I would recommend Walden Farms or Maple Grove Farms of Vermont dressings. These dressings contain no oils, no fat, and none or very little sugar (5 grams or less).

For Dinner, I ate a lean meat, veggies, and whole grain rice.

Foods to Avoid on the Cleanse
-Alcohol
-Coffee, soda, energy drinks (Stick to Spark)
-White Foods/ Starches (white pasta, bagels, bread, crackers, chips)
-Sauces
-Cooking with most oils (Cook with water, broth, or olive oil)
-Sugar and Desserts
-Mushrooms ("Molds" keep toxins alive)
-Dairy Products (Yogurt, Cheese, Milk will feed the toxins)
-Fatty foods, Fried Foods, Fast Foods
-Ground beef or fatty meats

Foods to Eat
-Fresh/Raw fruits and Vegetables (Eat plenty of them.They will help scrub out the toxins)
-100% whole grain rice (brown or wild rice); Quinoa
-Plain oatmeal (add fruits or cinnamon for flavor, not sugar)
-Eggs
-Lean Meats (Chicken, Fish, Turkey Breast, Ground Turkey)
-Healthy Fats (Avocados, Raw Nuts/Seeds, Olive Oil)
-Peanut or Almond Butter (no sugar or oils added)
-Beans, Lentils
-Chicken or Vegetable broths
-Garlic, Spices, Herbs, Fresh Salsa , Taco Seasonings (low sodium)
-Almond Milk or Rice Milk
-Drink plenty of water

Two of my favorite things we ate on the cleanse.

 
Spaghetti Squash with ground turkey in all natural tomato sauce (low fat, low sodium)

 
Michael makes the best smoothies.
-Fresh Strawberries, Bananas
-Frozen Mango
-Wheat Germ
-Honey
-Almond Milk
 
So far, I have lost 3.5 pounds. I am less bloated and my clothes don't feel as tight. I am now in Day 3 of the second phase of the challenge: the 14 day Max Phase. I will post all about it and my results when I've finished my challenge.
 
For more information about the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and other Advocare products visit: https://www.advocare.com/120315887/

No comments:

Post a Comment