Sunday, September 20, 2015

Family Guidance Center 10K

September 12, 2015
 
The Family Guidance Run offers 5K and 10K walk/run divisions. The proceeds from this run benefit the Family Guidance Center of Alabama, a non-profit organization that has provided quality services designed to strengthen families since 1959. The agency's annual Walk/Run has involved the community in a fun, healthy activity for adults and children since 2009.

 
This was my third year running the Family Guidance Center 10K. It was my first 10K two years ago, and it's one that I'll probably participate in every year that I am able. I was in Week 6 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon training plan. The mid-week long run was 6 miles, so this race timed out perfect with my training. I haven't been consistent with running all year. I was finally getting back into a routine of running three days a week with a long run on the weekend. My pace has suffered a lot due to my lack of consistency, so I really wasn't expecting a whole lot this race.  My main goal was to finish under an hour.
 

 
This run starts and finishes at the Shoppes at EastChase. It runs through a few neighborhoods located near the shops. There are plenty of volunteers and support on the course. I started out way too fast as usual, and my pace slowed a lot in the final miles. I ran the majority of the race, only stopping to walk at the water stations.

Mile 1- 8:20
Mile 2- 8:52
Mile 3- 8:59
Mile 4- 8:58
Mile 5- 9:13
Mile 6- 9:47
 
My finish time was 57:10. It wasn't a PR, but I was proud of my time. I haven't seen that pace in a while.
 

 
I didn't stick around for the post race festivities, because Michael and I had a funeral to attend later that morning. I checked the results online once they were posted and I placed first in my age group. I stopped by the Family Guidance Center later that week to pick up my award.


No comments:

Post a Comment