Sunday, October 4, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Week 9 Marathon Training

September 28th-October 4th, 2015

I am joining the Weekly Wrap hosted by  Holly from HoHo Runs and Tricia from MissSippiPiddlin. The Weekly Wrap is a blog link up where bloggers share their active lifestyle and other exciting things weekly. To find out more, click on the image below. Feel free to join in on the fun.

http://www.misssippipiddlin.com/weekly-wrap/

I am currently training for my second marathon at St. Jude Memphis this December. I just completed Week 9 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon Training Plan. I will recap my training here in the Weekly Wrap.
 
Monday, September 28th 
 
Monday is my scheduled rest day for running. I love these days because I can sleep an hour later.
 
Tuesday, September 29th
 
It rained most of Monday night and there was still a light drizzle on Tuesday morning. I felt sluggish most of this run, and I didn't get in the groove until the last mile. I was startled by a loose dog, but luckily he was friendly.
 
 

I accidently hit another teacher's car pulling into the parking lot at school. I was so embarrassed and I couldn't stop apologizing. It turns out this is the 5th time this teacher's car has been hit, the second time in just over a month. I felt terrible.  I'm a horrible driver. In fact, my driver's ed. teacher in high school wouldn't grant me my license even though I turned 16 months before his class. I lacked confidence behind the wheel and I really wasn't in any hurry to drive. This is my fourth accident, third that was my fault. I really should be more careful.
 
 

















I planned on staying late after school to get some work done, but instead I dropped my car off at the shop. My mom picked me up and took me to get a rental car. I really hate driving a rental car. I'm always so nervous something will happen to it.
 
Wednesday, September 30th
 
I ran 7 miles at my marathon goal pace.
 



 

Thursday, October 1st
 
I ran 4 miles at an easy pace. It wasn't nearly as humid and there was a nice breeze.
 
 
 
Thursday night was our annual WES Fest Fall Festival at school. WES Fest is a huge fundraising event for our school. The tradition started when I was in elementary school there over 20 years ago. We had over 1,000 people in attendance. This was my second year selling Sno Cones, and I raised a decent amount of money for my classroom. My mom came and helped me. I don't know what I would do without her.
 
 
Friday, October 2nd
 
Friday was another scheduled rest day for running. It was a hectic day at school. I usually try to do my lesson plans earlier in the week, but with my accident and the fall festival I didn't get around to it. It was 7:00 when I left the school that evening, and I was exhausted. I picked up a pizza on the way home. I ate supper, got a quick shower, and went straight to bed.
 
Saturday, October 3rd

 
I got up early to do my long run of 17 miles. Week 9 is actually a half marathon on the training schedule, but I swapped it with the 17 mile run in Week 10 because there's a 10K that I want to do next weekend. I rearranged my training this exact same way last year for this 10K and it didn't seem to affect me in any way.
 
It was much cooler out Saturday morning, 62 degrees, cloudy, and breezy. I was glad the rain held off, although we did get a light rain that afternoon. I usually try to do my long runs 1:00-1:30 mins slower than my goal pace. I felt great Saturday morning, and as much as I tried I couldn't force myself to slow down. I was happy with my pace. I just hope I can do that well in December.
 
 
That afternoon I attended a funeral with my grandfather. A sweet lady from our church passed away at 95 years old. She hosted a graduation tea for me when I graduated high school. I still have the monogrammed sterling silver jewelry box that she gave me as a graduation gift on my dresser. Her service was beautiful. They compared her to the woman in Proverbs 31, a women of noble character who walked by faith. I think there is no better comparison. She will truly be missed.
 
The funeral was at 3:00, so I missed most of the first half of the Bama -vs- Georgia game. Wow, what a game! Bama was rolling on all sides of the ball, and Coker was playing with real confidence. I'm thinking this might be a great season after all. Although, we have one of the toughest schedules in college football, and many great teams remain. Roll Tide!
 
 
Sunday, October 4th
 
Sunday is a cross training day. I got my daily steps in walking around town. We went shopping for an Indian costume for school next week. It's homecoming week, and I love to participate in the dress up days. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything. I ordered one on Amazon when I got home. With Michael's Amazon Prime account, it only cost $8.00 and it should be here by Tuesday. I just hope it fits right. I hate ordering clothes online. Later, I got the house cleaned and laundry done, my usual Sunday routine.
 
 


 

 
 




15 comments:

  1. I too am swapping up a bit in my marathon training long runs / races, etc. I want to get as much racing experience as possible, so I am programming quite a few, even if they don't fit exactly with called mileage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one downfall to marathon training is sacrificing some of the shorter, local runs to fit long runs in on the weekends. I still try to make time for my favorites though.

      Delete
  2. We had very sticky humid mornings last week so I know those runs must have felt tough. Bama looked so much better this week. That was a great game and I'm sure a confidence builder for the whole team. What 10k are you running? Because I was running Chicago I didn't look to see if any local races were scheduled, not that I can run it. Just curious. Good luck as you continue training. I'll have to live vicariously through you! I appreciate you linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bama looked much better. I'm feeling more confident about the remainder of our season. Although, we still have some tough teams ahead. I'm running the Shrimp Festival 10K in Orange Beach. I love that one! I'm sorry about your injury this close to Chicago. I really hope it heals soon and you make a strong comeback!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're doing great!

    I've probably been driving longer than you've been alive. I'm an ok driver, and have had very accidents, but my peripheral vision isn't the greatest and not long ago I just barely scraped someone's car in our tiny Trader Joes parking lot. I was mortified!

    We found the owner, and she told me not to worry about it. My car is really old, and while not banged up, dinged up almost everywhere. Hers wasn't much better, but still, so many people would have been livid.

    So I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my car back yesterday. I'm glad to have it back. I'm very fortunate that she was so understanding.

      Delete
  4. I love Fall Festivals at school. We use to participate every year when my daughter was young. I've done my share of Go Fish, Pony Rides, Cotton Candy. I'm so glad your long run went well. How much fun is that dressing up I look forward to the pictures too. This weekends game didn't go in our favor this time. Looks like we both have a loss now. Hope you have a great week. October is going to be crazy busy so I know it will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our Fall Festival! We held it early this year. I will definitely post pics from the dress up days in this weeks Weekly Wrap. That was a tough loss against Florida. It's going to be interesting to see how this football season pans out. I've got a lot going on this month, including a 10K and a half marathon. It will go by fast!

      Delete
  5. Wow it looks like your training is going really well. Congratulations! How do you feel after that 17 miler? Sometimes those long runs can stick with you for a few days. Are you doing any cross training or strength training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs recovered pretty well. I always soak in Epsom salts and use Biofreeze after my long runs. The most cross training I've done lately is walking my dog. I got a bike a few months back and I've been riding some on Sundays. I don't ride nearly as often as I should. I definitely want to do better about the cross training.

      Delete
  6. So odd that the one car keeps getting hit!

    Your training is going great! I can't wait to see how things keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great job in Chicago! I can't wait to read all about it!

      Delete
  7. sounds like a great running week for you! sorry to hear about your car that is kind of a bummer :( 17 miles on a weekend for a training run is very impressive- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm cutting back with a 10K and a half marathon then my training will really pick up from there. I got my car back this Tuesday, so I wasn't without it long.

      Delete
  8. Thanks! I could go overboard purchasing things for my classroom. There's so many great things out there!

    ReplyDelete