Thursday, January 3, 2019

Fiesta of Flags 10K Race Recap

May 5, 2018

Fiesta of Flags was another bucket list race that I checked off this year. I slacked off after my half in April and I only ran two times before this race. I debated for the longest whether to run the 5K or the 10K, but I finally settled on the 10K strictly because of the finisher's medal. I knew I was unprepared for the 10K, but I hoped I still had endurance left from my half less than a month ago. I wanted to finish under an hour.


Michael and I stayed at our family's condo in Gulf Shores, AL. Pensacola is about 45 minutes to an hour from there. The race started at 7:30. I was worried about race day logistics. I've never run a race that started and finished in two different locations. We left the condo by 5:00 to make sure that we had plenty of time to find parking, get my packet, and catch the shuttle to the start line.

There was plenty of parking at the Downtown Pensacola Parking area when we arrived. Packet pick-up was a breeze. I had some time to spare before catching the shuttle to the 10K start line at Pensacola State College. There were only porta-potties, but I made sure to use one while I was waiting for the shuttle. I didn't know what the bathroom situation would be at the start line.

The bus ride felt like it took forever, and I wondered if I made the right decision to run the 10K. There was a good crowd of runners already at the college when we arrived. I was hoping the buildings on campus would be open, so I could use a real bathroom before the race. Several runners were tugging on the doors to no avail. There were some porta-potties available, so I decided I should probably go one more time.

I ran into Kari (1beachteacher) at the start line. I met her at the Pensacola Half Marathon a few years ago. We talked about teaching and our upcoming races. It was great to see her again!

Me with Kari (1beachteacher)

Start line selfie

There were close to 1,000 participants between the 10K, 5K Run, and 5K walk. It was a typical day in May for the gulf coast...HOT! The sun was out in full force, and I could feel it beating down on me while waiting at the start line. It was 73 degrees, but it was only going to get warmer. They went over a few announcements, played the national anthem, and we were off.

I figured that I would run as much as I could before using my run/walk intervals. We reached a good size hill around mile 2. It reminded me of the hill at mile 8 in the Pensacola Half, and I assumed it was the same one. I didn't handle it as well as I did back then. I walked most of it to the top. Then I resumed running. After the hill, we were rewarded with a flat stretch along the beautiful canopy lined streets.

Beautiful canopy lined streets

I was pacing pretty steady for the first half. My wheels came off when we passed by the 5K start line. I was really starting to tire out and the heat was getting to me. I started using 2:00 run/ 30 second walk intervals at this point.

This was painted on the side of a building at the half-way point
We encountered another hill going over an overpass during mile 5. I walked the entire way up and clocked my slowest mile. We turned onto Palafox shortly after the climb. There were a lot of spectators in the downtown area cheering for us. This stretch reminded me of the final half mile during the Pensacola Half when I picked up speed because I didn't want to lose precious seconds
off my current PR.This race was a different scene. Even though the end was near, I was losing steam and having a hard time pushing myself knowing my goal of a sub 60 minute finish was out of reach.

I was still walking when the finish line at Seville Square came into view. Two women came up behind me and said, "Come on, we're almost there" as they passed me. There were so many spectators and people taking pictures. I didn't want to be seen walking this close to the finish, so I ran the remainder of the way. I finished in 1:02:12, one of my slowest 10K's to date. A part of me was disappointed, but I knew that my lack of consistency was to blame. I still had fun which is what matters most.

Mile 1- 9:19
Mile 2- 9:35
Mile 3- 9:15
Mile 4- 10:16
Mile 5- 10:54
Mile 6- 10:34
Mile 0.25- 2:24 (9:38 Pace)




Michael and I enjoyed the post-race festivities at Seville Square. They had free beer, pizza, and Jimmy John's sub sandwiches.


I love the finisher's medal!
This was another great race that lived up to it's reputation. I hope to run it again one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment