Thursday, January 3, 2019

Flora-Bama Make it to the Line 4 Mile Run Race Recap

December 29, 2018

This was my third time running the Flora-Bama Make it to the Line Run. I can't believe it's been four year since I last ran this race. Michael and I always go to the beach for our anniversary. This race usually falls on the same weekend, but it was earlier in 2015 and 2016. I thought about running it in 2017, but I wasn't prepared and I worried too much about my finish time. To be honest I was a little worried about it this year, but I finally talked myself into signing up just two days before the race. It's always a lot of fun and I would at least walk away with a cool t-shirt.

Post-race break in the rain
It rained the entire time we were at the beach. Race morning was no exception. Everyone stayed under cover inside the Flora-Bama until they announced it was time to make our way to the start line. The rain actually started slacking off during announcements and the National Anthem. By the time the race started, it had almost completely stopped.

There were about 400 participants between the 4 Mile Run, 4 Mile Walk, and 1 Mile Fun Run. The proceeds from this year's event benefitted the Secret Santa program to help local families in need with gifts at Christmas, clothing, food, etc.

I had no real time goal for this race. Deep down I hoped I could at least maintain a 9:00 min per mile pace and finish under 40 minutes. I knew I wouldn't come anywhere close to my current 4 mile PR of 33 minutes flat.

I had my 2:00 run/30 second walk intervals set on my watch, but I only planned to use them if needed. I wanted to see how far I could run without stopping. This is a flat, fast, down and back course along Perdido Beach Blvd.

I was shocked to run my first two miles under nine minutes. I walked briefly through the first water station at the halfway point. I knew the last two miles would be in the headwind, so it would be harder to maintain my pace.

My effort felt the same, but when I looked at my Garmin I could see my pace creeping over nine minutes. I wanted to give in and start walking, but I knew I would be disappointed if I did. I just tried my best to keep pushing.

I did stop to walk briefly through the last water stop with a mile left to go. I noticed my overall pace on my Garmin was still in the 8:50's. If I didn't walk anymore I could possibly finish under 36 minutes.

As I neared the finish line, I could read 35 minutes on the time clock. I sprinted as fast as I could to make it across before it changed to 36.  I finished in 35:45. While this was nowhere near my current PR, I was so proud of my performance. This was a time that I haven't seen in a long time, a time that I've felt like I wasn't capable of running anymore.

Mile 1- 8:53
Mile 2- 8:52
Mile 3- 9:12
Mile 4- 9:13



The Its Your Race timing crew did an awesome job timing this race. My results were ready to print almost immediately after I finished. I typed in my bib number and printed my results. I was really surprised to see that I placed 1st in my age division.

Michael and I stuck around for the post-race festivities and awards. They had free beer, pasta salad, red beans and rice, and wraps. They also had free massages, but I didn't get one.

Age Group Winners 30-34 (Yes, there were more than two of us in our division.)

I love the Tervis Tumblers this year!
This run is always a lot of fun. I hope it won't be another four years before I run it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment