Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Firecracker 5K Race Recap

June 29, 2019

Michael and I spent a week in Gulf Shores, AL from June 20-30th. I checked several running sites to see if there were any runs in the area while we were down there, and this was the closest one. Pensacola is only about 45 minutes to an hour from Gulf Shores. I've run several runs in the area. The Ronald McDonald House Firecracker 5K was actually one that I've wanted to run for some time now. I've seen several of my Instagram friends from the area participate in past years. Proceeds from the race benefitted the Ronald McDonald House Charity of Northwest Florida.

I participated in the Streaking with the Cool Kids Run streak from June 1-30th to try to get back in a routine of running again. Many of my days consisted of 1.5 milers, but the streak motivated me to get out the door on days when I would rather stay on the couch. My last two 5K's weren't great. I did good to finish just under 30 minutes. I hoped that my consistency would pay off during this race.


I really enjoyed this course. We started at Seville Quarter, ran in front of the Pensacola Blue Wahoo's Stadium, looped around the Palafox Pier overlooking the water, and then made our way back to the quarter.


I maintained a pretty consistent pace. I walked briefly through both water stations, but other than that I ran the entire time. It was typical June weather for the south (hot and humid) so I didn't turn down the water. I felt stronger in this race than I've felt in a while. I finished in 27:31. It's not my best 5K, but I'm proud of it.

Mile 1-8:49
Mile 2-8:50
Mile 3-9:01
0.11-0:54 (8:02 min/mi)

They had cold, wet towels at the finish line and lots of refreshments. The watermelon was really good! We didn't stick around long because we wanted to get back and go fishing. 









No comments:

Post a Comment