Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Jubilee 8K Race Recap

June 1, 2019

I put my name in a drawing for a free race entry for this race at the Montgomery Half/5K back in March, and I won! I couldn't believe it, I never win anything! I've run this race in the past when it was the Jubilee Run for Cancer benefitting the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. This year the local running group reorganized it to support the Montgomery Police Department.

I hoped that I would be in better shape for this race. My last semester of grad school was tough, and running was put on the back burner. With graduation behind me on May 3rd I had a few weeks to prepare for this race, but I didn't. I ran a total of nine miles after graduation (three 2 mile runs and a 5K that I was also not prepared for). As much as I love running, it is hard to get back in a routine after so much time off. 

I knew this run was not going to be pretty. I knew it would be my slowest 8K race to date. I went anyway because (1) I didn't want the entry to go to waste, (2) I knew many of my friends would be there, and (3) I wanted to support the running group's efforts to reorganize this race for a good cause. 

My current 8K PR (43:35) is from this race in 2014.The 8K is not a common distance around here, so I don't get to race it very often. I knew that I wouldn't come anywhere even close to my PR at this race, but deep down I hoped to maintain 9 minute miles. That was a lofty goal! 

I took off like a flash at the start. I ran up the first hill thinking, "I've got this". My heart was beating out of my chest when I got to the top, so I stopped to walk and catch my breath. I caught my breath and starting running again. 

Then came the long climb up Dexter. I stopped to walk again. Another member of the local running group, Bridgett, asked me if I was using walk/run intervals. I replied, "I think so." I wasn't planning on it, but it was starting to look like that was my only way to get through it. I had 2:00 run/:30 walk intervals automatically set on my watch. I've maintained 9 minute miles using these intervals plenty of times before, so I decided I would use them during the race.

Climb up Dexter Ave
Alabama State Capitol Building
My first two miles went well. Despite the walk breaks I clocked 9 minute miles. I hoped I could maintain this pace.

Mile 1- 9:44
Mile 2- 9:53


Downtown Montgomery is known for its hills. I slowed down quite a bit on the rolling hills through the neighborhoods in the next two miles. Knowing that my goal was out of reach, I started to drag out my 30 second walk intervals into my run intervals. I was doing more walking than running. There's one more big hill in the last mile, but it's a long downhill stretch at the top to the finish line. I walked up the hill, but when I reached the top I ran downhill to the finish line. 

Mile 3-10:18
Mile 4-11:05
Mile 5-10:30

I finished in 51:35 (my slowest 8K to date). I was disappointed, but I also realized that I haven't put it the work to achieve faster times. I stuck around at the finish to visit with friends. When the results were posted I was surprised that I got 1st place in my age group. I guess that's a perk of smaller, local races. 









The age group awards were really nice!


River Region Runners








No comments:

Post a Comment