Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Blue Marlin Miler 5K Race Recap

July 14, 2018

I was extremely busy this summer with teaching summer school, getting in hours for my school psychometry internship, and taking three classes. I didn't prioritize running, and I only logged four runs in June and three in July.

Michael and I planned a beach trip in July. When I saw this run was the same weekend I couldn't resist signing up even though I was really unprepared. I love any run that benefits St.Jude Children's Research Hospital. This was an inaugural race that took place at The Wharf in Orange Beach during the Blue Marlin Grand Championship weekend. They had a decent turnout for an inaugural race with almost 200 participants.



I saw Mindy (roadrunnergirl) at the start line. We follow each other on Instagram. I haven't seen her since we first met in Mandeville a few years ago. It was great to catch up with her.

It was great to see Mindy (roadrunnergirl) at this race
A St.Jude family gave their testament before the race started. St.Jude Children's Research Hospital helps many families like this one to ensure that their child receives the best care at no cost.

St.Jude family
The race started at 7:45. It was already sunny and 80 degrees. We ran a loop around the Wharf. There were signs on the course that featured St.Jude patients and facts.

 


I ran the first mile and a half. Then I started using 2:00 run/30 sec walk intervals for the remainder of the race.

Several volunteers commented on my St. Jude Hero's singlet at the water stations. I felt like I was back in Memphis for the St.Jude marathon. This race really made me want to go back.



The heat was really starting to get to me in the last mile. I was hoping to finish under 30 minutes, but that goal was farther and farther out of reach.

There were several spectators when we made our way back to the center of the Wharf with all the shops. I didn't want to be seen walking this close to the finish, so I ran the rest of the way to the finish.

Mile 1- 9:05
Mile 2- 9:48
Mile 3- 10:11


I finished in 31:24. I was a little disappointed that sub 30 minute 5K's don't come easy to me anymore, but the heat and lack of consistency didn't help matters. I still had a great time supporting one of my favorite charities.

They gave all of the participants a St. Jude pin when they crossed the finish line. There was free beer and snacks after the race. Michael and I didn't stick around long because we wanted to go fishing.


This was a well organized inaugural race for a very worthy cause. I would definitely do this race again.

No comments:

Post a Comment