Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Blue Ridge Turkey Trot 5K Race Recap

November 22, 2018

My in-laws planned a trip to Blue Ridge, GA for Thanksgiving over a year ago. I knew right away that I wanted to participate in my first Turkey Trot in downtown Blue Ridge on Thanksgiving Day. I tried to recruit my nieces to run with me, but they opted to stay in bed. I can't blame them.

It was a cold race (28 degrees at the start). I was glad that I picked up my bib and t-shirt the day before the race. There was a long line of people waiting, and the race was ten minutes late starting as a result.

They gave out prizes to the best dressed person or group. Several people were dressed in the usual turkey trot attire. One group was dressed as Where's Waldo characters including their dog. I wish I had gotten a picture. I ordered a singlet from Gone for a Run that said "Run Now" on the front and
"Gobble Later" on the back.

Proceeds from the race benefitted Mountain Area Christian Academy and organizations that are close to the school's heart such as Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Cure Childhood Cancer. Participants were asked to bring canned food items for the Good Samaritans food pantry.

I didn't have any time goals for this race. Turkey Trots are for fun, so that was my main focus for this race. We started at the children's park and did a loop around downtown Blue Ridge.

I spent most of the first mile weaving my way in and out of the crowd of runners. The narrow road was a little tight in the beginning.

 Mile 1- 9:37

We encountered a big hill early in the second mile followed by a long downhill stretch. I walked the entire uphill climb.

 Mile 2- 10:12

Around 2.5 miles we passed right by the finish line where I could see several of the front of the pack runners finishing. We turned around just over a quarter mile later back towards the finish line. I don't know if or how this could be rerouted, but it was a bit discouraging passing the finish line with over half a mile to go.
 Mile 3- 9:31

The run was supposed to be chip timed, but my official time was 31:28 which must have been gun time. I didn't start my Garmin until I crossed the timing mat and I clocked 30:37.

They had granola bars, bananas, oranges, and bottled water at the finish line. We didn't stick around because it was so cold, and we had family waiting for us back at the cabin. The results were tabulated quickly and they were getting ready to begin awards when we left.

This may have been my first Turkey Trot, but it certainly won't be my last. If you're ever in Blue Ridge, GA for Thanksgiving, I would highly recommend this race.









No comments:

Post a Comment