Friday, July 31, 2015

AGAPE Run for a Mom 5K Race Recap

May 9, 2015

This was my fourth year running the AGAPE Run for a Mom. This run is another favorite for my mom and me. We'll run it every year that we are able.

AGAPE Run for a Mom takes place each year on Mother's Day Weekend. Proceeds from this run help assist women facing crisis pregnancies and find forever homes for children. Many of the participants dedicate this run to their mothers or other special women in their lives. This race has grown over the years attracting several hundred participants.

My former co-worker and friend, Mrs. B had just started her running journey earlier this year. She ran the Joy to Life 5K in April and she was hooked. I told her about this run, and she texted me the night before to tell me that she had signed up. I saw her before the race, and she told me she was going to run this race in memory of her mom.


She had me in tears when I walked away because I can't imagine my life without my mom. My mom has always been my best friend. I tell her everything, which isn't always a good thing. I love having her to confide in and trust. Running has brought us even closer over the past few years giving us a common interest to share. She encourages me to achieve dreams I never thought possible.

 
It was a warm, sunny day for the race. The course runs through a residential area with beautiful houses. There's a few gradual inclines, but no major hills on this course. I started out too fast and slowed with each mile.
 
Mile 1- 8:03
Mile 2- 8:25
Mile 3- 8:49
 
My official time was 26:35, a little slower than last year but only by a few seconds.
 
 
 
I met my dad and Michael at the finish line and waited for my mom and Mrs. B to finish. Mrs. B came in at 29 minutes. I was so proud of her! It was only her second 5K and she ran a sub 30! It took me almost a year to do that.
 
My mom came in not long after Mrs. B. We enjoyed the post race food including Chick Fil A chicken biscuits. Then, we waited on door prizes and the results to be posted. It wasn't long before we noticed the crowd gathering at the results tent. I wasn't expecting to place because I was passed on the course by several women who I suspected were in my age division. I was more concerned about Mrs. B's results because I felt certain she had won her age division. We looked up her age division on the sheet and sure enough her name was first on the list. She was shocked! Tears started to fill her eyes. She cried,  "I did it for Mama! Thank you Mama!"
 
Her emotion was so familiar to me because I've experienced it in my runs that I've dedicated to my brother Raymond. When you run in memory of someone, their presence is with you the entire time. The smallest things become a reminder of them: a breeze, a butterfly, a person in the crowd, a song on your playlist. You feel closer to that person for a moment in time and you wish the moment would never end. It's a feeling that I have a hard time putting into words, but the best way I can describe it is uplifting and inspirational. 


I went back to check my results after congratulating Mrs.B. I was surprised to see that I also placed first in my age division. The woman who won Mom's age division ran faster than both me and Mrs.B. I've said it many times her age group is always super competitive.

Mrs. B and me with our awards
 


Have you ever dedicated a run to someone you love? How would you describe your experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment