Monday, July 27, 2015

Ryan's Run 5K Race Recap

November 29, 2014

This was my first year running Ryan's Run 5K. My mom ran this race a few years ago and loved it. Unfortunately, we missed the past two runs because we attended the Alabama -vs- Auburn football games.

This 5K is held each year on Iron Bowl Weekend in memory of Ryan Colburn, who was an avid sports fan and loved the Iron Bowl Rivalry between Alabama and Auburn. Proceeds from this run benefit the Frazer Youth Worship Arts Program and the Ryan Colburn Youth Scholarship, which supports youth with disabilities to attend the National Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs Conference. This run attracts over 100 participants. Participants are encouraged to wear their favorite team colors.


 
This was the weekend before the St. Jude Memphis Marathon. I did my long run of 8 miles earlier this week, so I could participate in this 5K. I planned to take it easy on this run. I didn't want to risk hurting myself before running my first full.
 
 
I got caught up in the excitement at the start and went out faster than I had planned. I felt good though, so I tried to maintain my pace. This was a down and back course with a few small inclines. I kept a really consistent pace the whole time, which doesn't happen that often.
 
Mile 1- 8:25
Mile 2- 8:19
Mile 3- 8:19
 
I finished in 25:57. Not a PR, but faster than my last few 5K's. I was really happy to see a time like that again.


 

 
 
They had granola bars, fruit, and pastries after the race. They also had Nancy's Italian Ice. They gave away great door prizes: a year's supply of bagels from Panera Bread, Alabama/Auburn wreaths, gift baskets, and a bowling party. We didn't win any of the door prizes, but we still had a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment