Monday, July 20, 2015

CCAD Run for Autism 5K Race Recap

June 7, 2014

This was my second year running the CCAD Run for Autism. This run benefits the Center for Child and Adolescent Development Development, a private nonprofit corporation that provides diagnostic and intervention services to children from birth to 18 years of age who reside in central and southern Alabama and who are present with, or are at risk for, developmental delays; autistic spectrum disorders; behavioral, emotional, mental, or learning disorders or other disabilities.

This was a smaller run with 75-100 participants. The center had just opened a new, larger location, so the course was different from the previous year. There were a few gradual inclines, but it was mostly flat. It was overcast, but still a warm day for running. I started out too fast, trying to pace with a girl whom I suspected was in my age group. She pulled farther and farther away. I was never going to catch up to her. After Mile 2, I quit trying. I ran my third mile much slower than the first two, stopping to walk at times. The heat was really starting to get to me. I finished in 27:17. Not my best, but my best for that day.

Mile 1- 8:12
Mile 2- 8:49
Mile 3-9:16
 
Besides being for a great cause, the two things I loved most about this race were the dri-fit t-shirts and the age group awards. The bobble head runner trophy is one of my favorite awards to date. I got 2nd place in my age division.
 
 
I was so happy for my mom, who also placed second in her age division. Her age group is very competitive. The women in her age group have been running for a long time, and many of them are faster than the ones in my age group.
 



What's the most unique thing you've gotten from a race?

No comments:

Post a Comment