Thursday, July 16, 2015

Cow Patty Race Recap

March 10, 2012

This is it, my first 5K. The run that sparked my obsession. My Mom wanted my Dad and I to join her on this 5K for her birthday. I was extremely nervous. I hated running, and I had done little to no physical activity in years. The Cow Patty Trot was to benefit Holtville High School FHA. There were just over 120 runners for this event.


 
My Mom ran in several 5K's leading up to this one, and I didn't dare try to keep up with her. My Dad and I lined up with the walkers in the back. Our main goal was to stay ahead of the sag wagon and to keep up with two women dressed in cow costumes.

The course felt like it would go on for eternity. We passed through small subdivisions and a long stretch of road lined with cow pastures. My Dad and I complained to each other the entire time. We kept asking each other if the finish was near. We came to the top of a long hill. At the bottom was a man in Auburn attire. Being the Bama fan that he is, my Dad said "Go on Debra! Take the Auburn man."  I ran down the hill as fast as I could. We were being passed the entire time, so to pass someone, anyone, made me feel proud. When I got to the bottom of the hill, I was winded. Luckily, there was one last water stop before the stretch to the finish. I sprinted one last time when I saw the finish line was in sight.

 
My Dad was not far behind me.
 
 
I later found a picture of my Mom finishing. She was way ahead of my Dad and I.
 

I wasn't expecting to have as much fun as I did. I made it my goal after this run to try to run a 5K without stopping to walk. My Mom encouraged me to chase that goal, and we signed up for the Joy to Life 5K later that day.


Do you remember your first run? Who or what motivated you to begin your running journey?



No comments:

Post a Comment