Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Cruising the Creekwalk 5K Race Recap

January 17, 2015

This was my third year running the Cruising the Creekwalk 5K. Mom was unable to run this year because she had to work.

This was the 8th Annual Cruising the Creekwalk Run hosted by Leadership Autauga County to support youth leadership programs in the county. This race is organized by River Region Runners. There are always plenty of volunteers, good food, and great door prizes at this run. The t-shirt designs are cool looking, and they are long sleeve which I love to wear in the fall and winter. I also like the course that runs by the Creekwalk and through downtown Prattville.

I invited my friend Minerva to join me on this run. I didn't see her when I arrived and I was worried that she wouldn't make it in time. They announced for the runners to line up at the start and I still couldn't find her. While they were going over the route, I saw Minerva with her daughter Isabella in a stroller. I was glad she made it. We talked for a few minutes before she lined up in the back.

I tried not to go out too fast on the first mile which ran past the creek and through downtown Prattville. I could feel myself slowing down in the second mile and I even stopped to walk some in the cemetery. Around the 2.5 mile point, a woman who looked to be in my age group passed me. I sped up and was side by side with her for a small stretch before she took off. There was no way I could catch up to her and it wasn't long before I quit trying and backed off my fast pace.

Mile 1- 8:00
Mile 2- 8:46
Mile 3- 7:52
 
It's not that often that my last mile is the fastest. That just shows how badly I wanted to hold on to my lead. I finished in 24:49, which was a new PR and course PR for me. 


 
 
My friend Minerva was really moving with Isabella in the stroller. She finished in 27 minutes! I don't know if I'll ever get up the courage to have kids, but if I do I hope I'm as fast as Minerva. She amazes me with all that she is able to accomplish as a full time wife and mother. She teaches tenth grade math and ESL at our local high school, she's an officer in the Alabama National Guard and was named Guardsman of the year, and she's going back to school for her second master's degree. She's a wonderful woman and friend. Unfortunately, we didn't have our picture taken together at this run. She had to take Isabella to dance afterwards, so she couldn't stick around long.

I waited around for the door prizes and awards. They always have great door prizes at this run including free entries to other runs in our area. Unfortunately, I didn't get any complementary race entries. As I suspected, the girl who passed me in the final mile was in my age group. They award three deep at this race, but only the top finisher gets a trophy. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get the Creekwalk trophy, but I was still very excited to achieve a new PR.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment