Friday, July 17, 2015

Family Guidance 10K Race Recap

September 14, 2013

Mom and I had started our training plan for our first half marathon in December. The weekend long run was six miles, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to run my first 10K. I really didn't know what to expect, so I didn't have a specific time goal in mind. I just wanted to finish.

The Family Guidance Run offers 5K and 10K walk/run divisions. The proceeds from this run benefit the Family Guidance Center of Alabama, a non-profit organization that has provided quality services designed to strengthen families since 1959. The agency's annual Walk/Run has involved the community in a fun, healthy activity for adults and children since 2009.
 
 
I wore my Alabama gear because the Crimson Tide was facing Texas A&M later that day. Where I'm from most people are either Alabama or Auburn fans, and Saturdays during the fall months mean football. If you follow SEC football, this was the year after Johnny Manziel and the Aggies beat Bama at Bryant Denny. This year, we were ready for "Johnny Football". On the course other runners and volunteers were hollering "Roll Tide" when they saw me. I didn't expect to draw so much attention, but it was extremely motivating.
 
I couldn't believe my splits, all sub 10's except for the last mile. I walked a lot on the last mile. I thought I'd never see the finish line.
 
Mile 1- 9:44
Mile 2- 9:49
Mile 3- 9:46
Mile 4- 9:42
Mile 5- 9:55
Mile 6- 10:40
 
The post race festivities were top notch. They had plenty of food, drinks, ice cream sundae bar, and free massages. This race begins and ends at the Shoppes at EastChase. Several of the stores opened early and offered special discounts to the runners and volunteers. Mom and I stopped in Bath & Body Works to stock up on their fall fragrances.
 
By the time we finished looking at the stores, the race results were posted. I was shocked to see that I had placed 3rd in my age division. I certainly wasn't expecting to place on my first 10K.
 
 
 
Do you follow football? If so, who do you pull for?

No comments:

Post a Comment