Monday, July 27, 2015

Family Guidance 10K Race Recap

September 13, 2014

The Family Guidance Run offers 5K and 10K walk/run divisions. The proceeds from this run benefit the Family Guidance Center of Alabama, a non-profit organization that has provided quality services designed to strengthen families since 1959. The agency's annual Walk/Run has involved the community in a fun, healthy activity for adults and children since 2009.

This is another one of my favorite runs, and I'll participate every year that I am able. I was a little over a month into my marathon training using Hal Higdon's Novice 2 training plan. The midweek long run was 6 miles, so I swapped it with my 9 mile run scheduled for this weekend. I like running at least one race a month, but I had to do a lot of rearranging with the plan to accommodate the races I wanted to do. That's one of the downfalls in training for a full marathon. It's a full time commitment.

This run starts and finishes at the Shoppes at EastChase. It runs through a few neighborhoods located near the shops. There are plenty of volunteers and support on the course. I ran a pretty consistent pace, but I walked the small incline on the last mile.

Mile 1- 8:29
Mile 2- 8:33
Mile 3- 8:41
Mile 4- 8:45
Mile 5- 8:49
Mile 6- 9:16
 
I finished in 55:25, a course PR for me and 7 minutes faster than the previous year.


 
 

This run has the best post race festivities. They had plenty of food and drinks including Arby's roast beef sandwiches and an ice cream sundae bar. They also had free massages. Several of the stores opened early and offered special discounts for the runners and volunteers. We walked around the shops while we waited on the results to be tabulated. It took longer on the results this year because some runners changed from the 10K to the 5K division during the race and didn't notify the race directors. Once the results were posted, I was pleased to see that I finished 1st in my age division.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment