Thursday, July 16, 2015

Frazer Father's Day Race Recap

June 16, 2012

With school out for the summer, I had more time to run loops around the neighborhood. I picked objects in the distance and ran to those objects without stopping. I felt better prepared for this race, and I was confident I would do well. After coming so close to my goal at the Mother's Day Run and being equipped with a new pair of shoes, I knew today was the day I would meet my goal.


This run took place on Father's Day weekend. There were 200-300 participants, including some father/daughter and father/son teams. Proceeds from this run benefited Frazer United Methodist Church's ongoing transformational work with the Deaf Community in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

This was a Father's Day Run, but unfortunately Dad was so busy taking pictures of Mom and I that I didn't get one with him.


Mom and I warming up before the start:


And we're off.


Mom and I paced together the whole run. We encountered a few gradual inclines, much like the ones at the Mother's Day Run. Mom asked me if I needed to walk, but I was determined to keep going. I pumped my arms, as Mom talked me through it.  It was an out and back course, and before long I could see people turning around. "We're halfway there," I told Mom on the turn around. "There's no stopping me now! I'm gonna run this whole thing! I'm gonna make my goal!" I kept telling myself.

The finish line was just up ahead. I had done it! After four 5K's, I had finally ran the whole thing without stopping. I was also really pleased at how much my time had improved. I shaved a whole three minutes off my time from the Mother's Day Run.

 

This was the first time I noticed how much running had changed me. I worked hard for a goal. It didn't happen right away, but I didn't get discouraged. I kept pushing myself, and I got back what I put into it. After reaching my goal, I was happy, strong, and confident. I was a runner!

When did you first consider yourself a runner? How has running changed you?

No comments:

Post a Comment