Monday, July 27, 2015

Labor Day 8K Race Recap

 September 3, 2014

This was the 31st Annual Labor Day Run hosted by the River Region Runners. This is an Alabama RRCA State Championship event. The race offered 8K and 2 Mile Run divisions. The certified course was challenging with several hills through downtown Montgomery. There were 200 participants in the 8K division.

 
This was only my second 8K, but I wanted to do as well or better than my first one. My pace was up and down throughout the race. I walked most of the hills. It's obvious from my splits where the hills were located on the course.
 
Mile 1- 8:53
Mile 2- 9:13
Mile 3- 8:48
Mile 4- 9:14
Mile 0.95- 8:48
 
My finish time was 44:31, a minute slower than my first 8K. I was a little disappointed that I didn't better my time, but every run can't be a PR. I was still satisfied to maintain a sub 9:00 mile pace.
 
 
The post race festivities took place at the Train Shed. They had plenty of food and drinks, including grilled hotdogs. They gave away several great door prizes. Mom got a gift certificate to eat at Bonefish Grill, and I got a gift certificate to Jim and Nick's BBQ.
 
After they gave out door prizes, they announced the awards. I wasn't expecting an award because my name didn't appear on the sheet that they posted earlier. To my surprise my name was called for 2nd in my age division. I was really excited!  
 
 

There was a pirate theme for this run. The awards were pirate rubber ducks. This award is another one of my favorites because it's cute and different.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment