Sunday, July 19, 2015

Resurrection Run 15K Race Recap

March 1, 2014

This was my first 15K. After running my first half marathon, I planned to continue to do long runs of 6-10 miles on the weekends to maintain my overall endurance and fitness. I thought this would be a good opportunity to get my long run in for the weekend.

Resurrection Run is held each year to support the mission work of the Student Ministry at the First United Methodist Church of Prattville. The run offers a 5K and 15K division. The 15K route is a challenging course through downtown Prattville featuring two trips up Gin Shop Hill.

I didn't know what to expect for my finishing time, but I was hoping to finish in 1:30. There were two water stations on course, but we passed each one twice since the course looped back around. There were also plenty of volunteers guiding us on the turns. I kept a pretty consistent pace throughout the race after going out too fast in my first mile.

Mile 1: 8:40
Mile 2- 9:12
Mile 3- 9:10
Mile 4- 9:13
Mile 5-9:41
Mile 6- 9:24
Mile 7- 9:44
Mile 8-9:51
Mile 9-9:44
 
I finished well under my goal time in 1:26:02.
 
 
My mom also finished under her goal time of 1:45.



There was plenty of fruit, bagels, and muffins after the race. The praise and worship band was set up outside. We waited around for the results to be posted. I was pleased to see that I placed first in my age division.


 
I couldn't believe I maintained a 9:24 average pace for nine miles.  I was getting stronger with  my overall endurance and speed. After this race, I started to wonder how much I could improve my half marathon time. I wanted to do another half to find out.




No comments:

Post a Comment