Sunday, July 19, 2015

Shamrock Shuffle 10K Race Recap

March 15, 2014

My last 10K was at the Shrimp Festival last October. My goal after that race was to run a 10K under an hour. Based on my most recent times in the 5K, I thought I was capable of meeting my goal at this race.

Proceeds from the Shamrock Shuffle supported the Junior League of Montgomery, an organization committed to developing the potential of women and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. The race offered a 2K and 10K division.There were over 120 participants in the 10K division.  It was a down and back, flat, fast course. There were four water stations and plenty of volunteers cheering for us on course.


As usual, I took off too fast in the first mile. My pace slowed each mile until after mile four.


Mile 1- 8:12
Mile 2-8:43
Mile 3-8:59
Mile 4-9:06
 
I was tiring out quickly. I stopped for water just before the Mile 5 marker. I couldn't bring myself to run any further, so I started to walk. Not long after I started walking, a girl I recognized from previous runs passed me. I knew she was in my age group, and she beat me at every run. "Not today," I said to myself. I surged past her and then tried to maintain pace to stay ahead of her. I could hear her foot steps behind me. My heart was pounding! I crossed the street for the final stretch towards the finish. She crossed right behind me. At the final turn, I ran as fast as I could to the finish. I finished just two seconds ahead of her. It wasn't by much, but I did it.
 
Mile 5- 8:37
Mile 6-8:40
 
I also met my goal of a sub 60 min 10K finishing in 54:47.  I won a door prize, a gift basket with a water bottle and a gift certificate to take my dog to the groomer. I also placed first in my age division.





We also ran into my cousin, Jay. He and his friend David ran the 2K. It was their first race ever. Way to go guys!



No comments:

Post a Comment