Friday, July 17, 2015

Shrimp Festival 10K Race Recap

October 12, 2013

One of the best things about living in Alabama is visiting our beautiful gulf coast beaches. The National Shrimp Festival is held each year in October on the white, sandy beaches of Gulf Shores, AL. The festival offers live music, delicious seafood, arts and crafts exhibits, sand sculpture contests, a golf tournament, and a 5K/10K run. This was my first year attending the Shrimp Festival. My husband, Michael had gone in year's past with his friends, and he wanted to take me.

The Shrimp Festival 5K/10K started at the Orange Beach Sports Complex. There were several hundred participants. All net proceeds of the run were donated to Coastal Baldwin Education Enrichment Foundation, benefiting the local Gulf Shores & Orange Beach public schools.



The course was a paved trail that ran through the Backcountry Trails. It was shaded in most parts, but it was still very hot. My splits were pretty consistent to start, but my pace slowed on the last miles.

Mile 1- 9:09
Mile 2- 9:23
Mile 3-9:49
Mile 4-9:49
Mile 5-10:24
Mile 6-10:15

My time was 1:01:13. I had achieved a new 10K PR. I made it my goal after this race to run a sub one hour 10K in the future.

 
There was plenty of food after the race, including pizza and free beer. I don't drink, but Michael enjoyed the free beer. We didn't stick around long because it was so hot and their was very little shade around the post race area.



Where's your favorite vacation spot? What are some things that you enjoy doing there?

No comments:

Post a Comment