Monday, July 27, 2015

Shrimp Festival 10K Race Recap

 October 11, 2014

This was my second year going to the Shrimp Festival with Michael. My parents were able to join us this year. The National Shrimp Festival is held each year in October on the white, sandy beaches of Gulf Shores, AL. The festival offers live music, delicious seafood, arts and crafts exhibits, sand sculpture contests, a golf tournament, and a 5K/10K run. Everyone should attend the festival at least once in their lifetime. There's plenty to see and do, and it's great fun for all.

The Shrimp Festival 5K/10K started at the Orange Beach Sports Complex. There were several hundred participants. All net proceeds of the run were donated to Coastal Baldwin Education Enrichment Foundation, benefiting the local Gulf Shores & Orange Beach public schools.

 
The course was a paved trail that ran through the Backcountry Trails. It was shaded in most parts, but it was still very hot. There were only three water stops on the course, and I needed to stop at each one. I took several walk breaks on course.
 
Mile 1- 8:51
Mile 2- 8:57
Mile 3- 9:13
Mile 4- 9:10
Mile 5- 8:58
Mile 6- 9:14
 
I finished in 56:32, a course PR for me and 5 minutes faster than my time from the previous year.
 
There was pizza and free beer after the race. Dad and Michael enjoyed the beer. I met some runners from back home at this run, Paula and her husband Mark. Paula recognized me from the Family Guidance Run. It turns out we've done a lot of the same runs but had not met. It's a small world.
 
It didn't take long for the results to be posted. The top female in my age group was an overall finisher, so even though I was technically fourth I took 3rd place in my age division. I was thrilled to take home a Shrimp Festival medal!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment