Monday, July 6, 2020

Cruising the Creekwalk Race Recap

January 12, 2019

I love this local race and I try to participate every year that I am able. It is a great race to start the new year. I actually race day registered for this year's race. There was a chance of rain all week, so I waited to see what the weather looked like on race morning. The rain held off. It was a nice overcast morning with temps in the high 40's. 

Even though I did a half marathon and a 4 mile race in December, I still wasn't running consistently leading up to this race. It had been a while since I ran a 5K and I wanted to see what I was capable of going into the new year. I have run some of my best times on this course, but I knew I wouldn't run the 24-25 min times like I did in year's past.

I ran into my friend Valerie at the start line. We chatted before the race. I knew I probably couldn't stick with her during the race. She was running much more consistently than me. She was ahead of me at every turn but my goal was to at least keep her in sight. She definitely motivated me to push harder whether she realized it or not.



I always start out too fast. It's especially easy to do in this race as it starts going downhill by the Creekwalk and through downtown Prattville. 

I always lose steam when we run through the cemetery. There's a few inclines followed by fast down hill stretches. 

I looked back on my way out of the cemetery and noticed a girl who looked to be around my age gaining on me. I have been passed a few times during the last mile of this race, and I was determined not to let it happen today. I picked up the pace, but she was right behind me the entire last mile. When I made the final turn towards the finish I kicked as hard as I could. I was afraid that she might try to pass me, but she didn't. 




I finished in 26:30 and placed first in my age group. 

Mile 1- 8:42
Mile 2- 9:07
Mile 3- 8:25
0.1- 8:14 pace



Another thing I love about this race is seeing local running friends. It was great to catch up with Dee,  Valerie, Jen, and Jenny. Dee and Valerie also placed in their age groups.

Me, Valerie, Jenny, and Jen


Me and Dee

Me and Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment