Monday, July 6, 2020

Zydeco 5K Race Recap

April 20, 2019

I've always wanted to run the Zydeco 5K in Gulf Shores. It finally worked out with my schedule this year. I haven't run in almost a month leading up to this race. My main focus was getting through my last semester of grad school. I wasn't going to let my lack of consistency stop me from going and having a good time.

This race started and ended in front of the Acme Oyster House in Waterway Village. We ran through  mostly residential streets in the area. This race has grown over the years. There were almost 800 finishers at this year's race.

My Aftershokz headphones were completely dead at the start line, so I ran the entire race without music. Every now and then I run training runs without music, but music motivates me during a race. I started out entirely too fast. I clocked my first mile in 8:50, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to maintain that pace. 

There wasn't much shade on the route and it warmed up quickly. What was I thinking wearing capris in 60 degree weather? 

I started using my walk/run intervals after the first mile. I was feeling defeated by the time I reached the water station and I started extending my walk breaks beyond thirty seconds. I wasn't too concerned about my time until I got ready to make the final turn towards the finish line. I realized the clock was creeping up on thirty minutes, so I sprinted to come in under thirty. I finished in 29:06. Overall I was satisfied with my performance given my lack of consistency.

Mile 1- 8:50
Mile 2- 9:25
Mile 3- 9:43
0.13- 8:22/pace

  

After the race, I caught up with friends Mindy, Katie, and Ragan. It is always great to see them.


This race is held during the Zydeco Crawfish Festival. Michael and I hung out after the race to check out the vendors. I like this festival because it is smaller and less crowded than other festivals in town like the Shrimp Festival.

                                





No comments:

Post a Comment