Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Spring Fever Chase 10K Race Recap

March 16, 2019

I've always wanted to run the Spring Fever Chase in Fairhope, AL. This year it finally worked out with my schedule. Michael and I went down to the beach for the beginning of my Spring Break. Fairhope is about 45 mins to an hour drive from our condo in Gulf Shores. The race didn't start until 8:00, so we left the condo between 6-6:30. There was limited parking on the side of the road near the start line. There were a lot of locals running this race who just walked or rode their bikes from their houses.

It was a little chilly on race morning with temperatures in the low 50's, but the steady breeze made it feel even colder. This was a good size race with nearly 600 runners between the 10K and 2 Mile Fun Run. This is a point to point course starting on Bayview Street and ending on S Mobile Street by the bay. The start line is within walking distance from the finish line. 

I hadn't run beyond three miles since the Pensacola Double Bridge 15K in February. My knee was starting to feel better, but I was a worried about how it might hold up. I KT taped it and put Bio Freeze on it before the race. I didn't have a specific time goal for this race, but deep down I hoped I could finish under an hour.

I got a picture with the Azalea Trail Maids at the start line

I started out fast as usual, but I was feeling good so I tried my best to maintain my pace. I started to notice the hills during the third mile. I was warned that there are hills in Fairhope. I started to use my walk/run intervals at this point in the race. I walked all the hills even if it was during a run interval. 

I loved the tree lined streets

Most of the route was through residential streets, but we did run a stretch through downtown. There was a festival in town. We ran past the tents and food trucks. 

When we made it back through the residential streets I noticed a woman holding a little boy who was pointing and waving at the runners. The boy's bright red glasses caught my attention. Then I realized he had Down Syndrome which made me think of my brother Raymond. I waved and said hello, but I got a little teary eyed. 

My aunt and uncle recently built a new house in Fairhope. They said they were within a mile from the finish line. I knew it shouldn't be much farther. I tried to look out for them, but there were so many residents out cheering on the runners. Suddenly I heard people hollering "Look it's Debra Ann!" It was my aunt, uncle, cousin, and Michael.  It was so cool seeing my family cheering for me on the course. In hindsight I wish I had stopped for a picture. They gave me the boost I needed to finish strong. I ran the entire last mile. The final stretch by the bay was gorgeous! 

Beautiful view of the bay and azaleas in bloom on the final stretch 

The Azalea Trail Maids were at the finish line

My pace was all over the place, but I managed to finish under an hour in 58:45. Overall I was really pleased with my finish time considering I only ran a few three mile runs leading up this race. Me knee felt fine during the race, but it was a little sore afterwards.

Mile 1- 8:53
Mile 2- 9:00
Mile 3- 10:19
Mile 4- 9:24
Mile 5- 9:42
Mile 6- 8:57
0.28- 9:37


I stuck around at the finish line for a few minutes. It was really congested and I couldn't find Michael anywhere. It was starting to sprinkle, so I followed some other runners back to the start line where we were parked.  Fortunately Michael was there waiting for me. 

We drove a few blocks to my aunt and uncle's house. The rain was starting to become steady and I felt sorry for the runners we passed by on the course. We had lunch and visited with my family most of the afternoon before heading back to Gulf Shores.

Cool artwork by the bay made by local students

 
Cute t-shirt design, all finishers got participant ribbons





No comments:

Post a Comment