Thursday, July 9, 2020

Flora-Bama Make it to the Line 4 Mile Run Race Recap

December 28, 2019

This was my fourth year running the Flora-Bama Make it to the Line 4 Mile Run. Michael and I go to Gulf Shores every year for our anniversary. This race usually takes place while we are in town. 

It is a flat, fast, down and back course along Perdido Beach Blvd. A portion of the proceeds benefit the Secret Santa program, helping local families in need with gifts at Christmas, clothing, food, and more. There were over 400 finishers between the 4 Mile Run and Walk divisions, and the 1 Mile Fun Run. 

It was a muggy 72 degrees with cloudy skies at the start of the race. I ran the first two miles. Then, I started using my walk/run intervals at the turn around. Every year there is a strong headwind on the back route. This year was no exception. My effort felt the same, but my pace was slowing tremendously. 

The whole way back I was neck and neck with this girl who looked to be in my age group. She'd pass me during my walk intervals. I'd pass her on my run intervals. She passed me when I stopped for water after the third mile. 

With half a mile left to go she was widening the gap in front of me. I was worried that if I didn't make a move soon it would be too late. I decided to run the remainder of the race. I passed her with almost a quarter of a mile left. I was worried that I had a target on my back. I was waiting on her to speed up and pass me again but she didn't thankfully. 

Within a few hundred yards of the finish line I noticed the girl in front of me was slowing down. She was ahead of me the entire time and I really hated to pass her so close to the finish. That's happened to me a few times and it's no fun. I was feeling strong though and I was also noticing the time on the clock creeping towards 35 minutes. I did it. I passed her. I'm glad I did too because it turned out she was in my age group. I sealed first place by only two seconds! I finished in 34:46.

Mile 1- 8:14
Mile 2- 8:29
Mile 3- 9:16
Mile 4- 9:11


The local newspaper captured me near the finish line



They have a great post race party every year. Michael doesn't mind sticking around for this one because he loves the atmosphere at the Flora-Bama.

Michael hates pictures, but he agreed to a selfie on our anniversary


They had wraps, steamed veggies, rice, and free beer of course. They almost always have a live band playing. This year they had an acoustic guitarist with a woman playing the flute. As a former flute/ piccolo player I enjoyed her performance. She was really good! I failed to get their picture. They also had post-race massages but I didn't get one.

It takes some time for the official results to be tabulated, but there's plenty to do during the wait. They award three deep in each age category for both the run and walk divisions. I love the Tervis Tumblers with the race logo on it. The division place is on the back. Most of my awards are displayed in my running room, but I actually use this one. 











No comments:

Post a Comment