Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15K Race Recap

February 2, 2019

I've wanted to run this race for years. Finally it worked out with my schedule. 

My knee bothered me off and on since my last half marathon in December. I decided it was time to see the orthopedic doctor at the end of January. He did an x-ray which showed some wear on my cartilage and he injected me with PRP.

I knew that I wanted to run this race while I had the opportunity, but I debated whether to run the 5K or 15K. Against my better judgement I registered for the 15K because this was the last year running on the old Pensacola Bay Bridge. The race was less than two weeks after my injection. 

Michael and I drove to Pensacola Beach late Friday afternoon after we got off work. We didn't make it down in time for the expo and packet pick-up. Fortunately some local runners offered to pick up my packet for me. They do have race day packet pick-up, but I would highly recommend getting your packet the night before if you're able. 

Both the 5K and 15K are point to point courses, so the start line and finish line are in different locations. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Pensacola Beach which is directly across the street from the finish line at the Pensacola Beach Boardwalk. They have a shuttle that runs from the hotel to the start line. 

It was an early morning. The 15K started at 7:00 and I wanted to make sure I was at the start line in plenty of time. I caught the shuttle with some local runners who were also staying at the Hampton Inn. It felt like forever to the 15K start line at the Pensacola Wahoo's Stadium. The whole time I was second guessing signing for the 15K.

I was really concerned about how my knee would hold up. This would be my longest run in two months. One of the local runners offered me some of her KT tape. I've never tried KT tape before, but I figured it couldn't hurt. She helped me tape my knee before we loaded the bus. I also applied Bio Freeze and wore a knee brace. My only goal for this race was to have fun and finish.

Hanging out with local runners before the race

I found IG friends Rick, Jodi, Mindy, and her husband Andy in line for the restrooms

Finally the sun came up and it was time to make our way to the start line. There were over 2,500 finishers for the 15K. There were no pacers for this race. Runners positioned themselves at the start line in corrals based on pace. I lined up with other local runners in the 11:00 min/mile corral. They started promptly at 7:00 and let each corral go every minute or so. We crossed the start line at 7:08. 
                                                                   
Start line selfie


Even with the staggered start it was still really congested for the first two miles along the bay front. I ran the entire first mile and a half until the crowd spaced out some. We reached the Pensacola Bay Bridge around the third mile. This is a three mile long bridge. I was finally able to get into a rhythm with my walk/run intervals. I used them consistently for the remainder of the race. I really enjoyed the view of the bay on both sides of me.


Pensacola Bay Bridge

I love free race photos!

It was a little congested coming off the Pensacola Bay Bridge into Gulf Breeze. The roads were rough due to construction. A lady in front of me twisted her ankle in a pot hole and took a tumble. Some other runners and I stopped to help her up. She was really skinned up, but she was okay. She brushed herself off and kept running. 

There was good crowd support in Gulf Breeze. Several spectators were out in front of local businesses cheering on the runners. The Chick-fil-A and Subway mascots were out giving high fives . Just after Mile 6, we passed the 5K runners waiting to start. 


                                                 
We approached the Bob Sikes Bridge around Mile 8. This bridge isn't as long as the Pensacola Bay Bridge, but it is steeper. I got a kick out of this kid's sign just before the bridge.

                               
               
The Bob Sikes Bridge

Mile 8 was my slowest mile. I walked up most of the bridge until I reached the DJ near the top. He motivated me to run the rest of the way up.  At the bottom of the bridge I could see Pensacola Beach ahead. I didn't have much further to go. 





There was a high school drumline followed by this awesome cycling group at the final turn towards the finish line. They really motivated me to finish strong.
                                                     

            

I finished in 1:37:20. My time may reflect a PW (personal worst), but I PR'd in fun. My knee didn't bother me much during the race, but it was really hurting afterwards. I limped for several days following this race. It was worth it though. I loved everything about this race. I hope to run it again one day.

Mile 1- 9:57
Mile 2- 10:16
Mile 3- 10:24
Mile 4- 10:14
Mile 5- 10:20
Mile 6-10:24
Mile 7- 10:29
Mile 8- 11:02
Mile 9- 10:25
0.32- 9:54 pace


There was a big post race party at the Pensacola Beach Boardwalk. It was great to catch up with IG friends Katie and Mindy after the race. Free beer was offered in small souvenir cups. I love a souvenir cup! 😄 Red beans and rice was served at Hemingways. 

In addition to the post race party, the Sandshaker Bar across the street had half price drinks to race participants. I had so much fun hanging out with the local running group at the Sandshaker. I stuck with Shirley Temples.



It was great to see Katie at the finish line.



I saw Mindy again at the finish line. She ran a PR!



I love the finisher's medal!

                                  
It's double sided!




No comments:

Post a Comment